Monday, March 3, 2008

Traveling Minds

I just read an article in the Bellingham Herald, which quotes Shelley Muzzy: “Every minute feels like it’s really full and long. I’m really present; I’m not waiting to go somewhere or wishing I’m somewhere else. Every second I’m there I’m thinking I’m really lucky.”

This makes me think of how I feel living here, with my nice little house, garden, neighborhood, short walk to the bay, fresh air (except for the penta but that's another story), friendly people, good food... living alone and being able to learn to play guitar, cook up a nice dish, go hiking with friends, etc.

Her quote, though, starts with this: “I feel alive every minute when I’m traveling,” which changes the meaning quite a lot! I wonder how many other 'travel addicts' out there only feel that special way when they're away from home? It's all a mind shift, that feeling. If you live your life like you're on vacation, you can enjoy your life more, instead of spending most of your time waiting for the next trip outta town. Even on vacation you have to deal with clean clothes, or mending a lost button. How about appreciating what you already have, and being nice and friendly to other people on a regular basis, instead of only doing it when you're a guest in a foreign country? It might change the way others treat you too.

I'm all for traveling, and have done a lot of it myself. I think people really miss a lot if they never go somewhere far away. There's a lot to learn by it.

You can also learn how to catch the mindset of being there, when you're at home. It's a good way to truly appreciate your own home. To some people visiting here, this is a foreign country!

No comments: