Friday, November 9, 2007

Seasonal Extremes


Most people up here tolerate, endure the winter, the dark time. Not most people, we all do. But then the spring comes, and it's mostly really nice, and spring lasts a real long time. I love spring. This is when most people are hankering for real summer, they can't wait to go swimming, to sit out in the sun in their shorts and t-shirts. Not me. I had too much summer in the southwest; long sunny days, no clouds for months, too much UV and sunburns and spots in the skin that are scary. So when summer comes here, with the long days and clear skies, I kinda cringe, want to keep my long sleeves, where's my hat, did I put suncreen on this morning, should I put more on this afternoon... when the sun rises around 5 and sets around 10, it's a long day.
So I find myself tolerating and enduring the core of winter, the darkest days of December and January. And tolerating and enduring the core of summer, the long bright days of July. Why only one month? Because in June we have some clouds and a little rain, that breaks it up a bit. And by August the days are getting noticeably shorter, so even though they're bright and sunny, they're not so long and that gives me hope. July, though, is full of sunshine, guaranteed, every day. So out of 12 months, only 3 are not fully enjoyed by me, considering the weather.
I love it cool and cloudy, so I can wear my comfort uniform of a long sleeve shirt and a sweater. Soft fuzzy warm clothes, and breathing cool fresh air - that's my idea of heaven.

No comments: